Welcome to Best 100 Actors list and Photos.

Welcome to Best 100 Actors list and Photos and wallpapers.

Sunday 10 July 2011

Interview - Meet Author and Illustrator JD Holiday

J.D. Holiday is the author and illustrator of two children's books: Janoose the Goose, picture book and a chapter book for six to eight year olds, THE GREAT SNOWBALL ESCAPADE. A chapbook of her short stories called, Trespasses was published in 1994 and she has had short stories printed in literary magazines and numerous articles about writing and publishing published. She is a member of both The Society of Children's Writers and Illustrators, (SCBWI) and Small Publishers of North America, (SPAN.) J.D. Holiday lives in the Delaware Valley of Pennsylvania.
What inspired you to write?
Stories of all kinds throughout my childhood opened up my imagination. I enjoyed coming up with my own endings to sad stories though I really only wrote one story as a child. I think that was in the fourth grade on a rainy day.
Do you consider yourself a born writer?
No, I don't think I was. I might have been condition by watching my dad type every weekend on his own stories.
Have you ever suffered from writer's block? If yes, how did you 'cure' it?
Not really. I have had times I didn't write mainly because I was discouraged rejections by agents, editors and publishers.
Have you had any training to become a writer?
I took numerous college English courses and attended many writing seminars over the years.
What type of books do you mostly write?
I write children's books. I find my childhood was rich with experiences that have turned up inside my stories.
Do your children inspire any of books, characters, or plots?
Yes, my daughter, Jennifer, who is a mother herself now, and my grandson as well as my pets come into play.
Can you share with us a little about your current book?
My current book is The Great Snowball Escapade. In the story, Wilhemena Brooks,' known as Wil to her friends and her cousin, Bud Dunphry can't get along. Bud is mean and doesn't like playing with girls and Wil is tired of him giving her his "you're going to got it" face. After the two of them have to stay in their rooms, Wil decides she has to try harder to understand her cousin and stay out of trouble.
What type of book promotion works for you? Any special strategies you'd like to share.
Marketing is the hard part for me. I really have no master plan and do what most authors do including marketing to stores, libraries, do some readings and giveaways. I have done interview and book review exchanges with other authors and pay to have some promotions done as well.
What is the most difficult part of writing?
I would have to say that editing is the most difficult part for me. Grammar is not
my strong point. I have to rely on others to edit for me.
Do you find it hard to balance your personal writing time with your other job(s)?
Fortunately, for me I don't have to work right now. My husband has been able to support us. When I did work a full time job, it was a struggle to find the time to writing or my artwork. I had to force myself to find an hour or two a night to keep my writing going.
Do you have any other works in progress? Can you share a little about them?
I have two I'm working on. One is a picture book I 'm doing the illustrations for now. It is a story about a boy who wants a puppy but gets a dog that is older. It's what they do together that makes them pals.
The other book is a young adult novel titled, 'Christmas in the City', which has taken a backseat. I hope to have it ready by next Christmas. This story is about two girls, one with a family and one without and both searching for what is important to them.
Tell us about your writing space?
My writing space is an office/TV room/computer room. My computer table is one that
if you put the backup you have a bench but instead the top have a computer with the monitor, keyboard and scanner/printer on it. The TV sits across from a small couch or loveseat. I write sitting on that comfortable couch.
The world of children's book publishing is extremely competitive, with many authors hesitating between trying their luck with a traditional publisher or self-publishing. What advice would you offer writers who are oscillating between these two publishing venues?
It is a hard one to answer. I wrote for 25 years before realizing I was my own publisher.
With the extremely competitive field of children's book writing, I think each author has to decide if they want to try to be noticed by editors at the large publishing houses. I read recently that traditional publishers are only taking on established authors with a record of accomplishment for making money. But I also am aware that some editors, mostly junior editors was to find that unique story out there and will still be looking for them.
Do you do first drafts on a computer or by hand?
As I mentioned, I sit on my couch, and write with page and pen. Once I'm through the story I'll go to the computer and type up the first draft, then work on it again.
How do you see the future of book publishing, both traditional, electronic, and print on demand?
I read a week ago that children's market is heading toward e-books. It's easy to get a book anytime for e-readers. You don't have to leave the house with a sick child for a new book to read to them and when the family is on vacation or traveling with a restless child or two, downloading an e-book is done in seconds.
My opinion is that self-publishing including e-books, Print-On-Demand and print run books itself, will at some point over take traditional publishing or traditional publishing, as we have known it.
I believe that in 2009, self-publishing out published the big houses by a large margin for the first time.
What is your creative process like? What happens before sitting down to write?
Before I sit down to write when I'm creating a story, my mind begins racing. I write by hand, paper and pen because I can't type fast enough to get all my thoughts in.
Editing gets to be difficult because I keep writing notes that end up in every available space, in the margins and between the typed lines, you name it. This all makes it hard to edit and near impossible to read my own writing. I've tried changing this hobby many times. But nothing else works while I'm creating. A pencil and eraser only make it harder still with the eraser's smudges!
What voice do you find most to your liking: first person or third person?
I like both, but prefer third person. The reason being is I need my main characters to think in my stories. I find my characters are well rounded that way and the readers understand them better.
What well-known writers do you admire most?
There are many writers to admire so this isn't easy. I read mysteries and in that field, I admire Carola Dunn, M.C. Beaton, Sandra Balzo and Jill Churchill.
Do you participate in competitions? Have you received any awards?
I haven't entered a writing competition in a very long time. When I was trying to find a publisher or agent, I felt I would rather just keep trying which was my main goal. It seemed to be the way forward for me.
What discipline do you impose on yourself regarding schedules, goals, etc.?
I just make sure I do something with my writing or artwork every day. It always turns into hours of work.
What do you surround yourself with in your work area in order to help your concentrate?
I don't seem to need anything special to concentrate on writing. I can write, painting or draw in any condition. Sometimes I need quiet but most times noise doesn't bother me.
What do you recommend I do with all those things I wrote years ago but have never been able to bring myself to show anyone?
What I think you should do if you haven't done so already, is to research and learn all there is to know about the genre or field your stories are in. Read the same types of books you have written. The same ones your story's readers are reading.
Once you understand your genre and see that what you have written is right and correct for its and sure that readers will like it, it's show time for your stories.
I thank you for taking the time to share about being an author.
You are welcome!
J.D. Holiday was a guest on Blog Talk Radio's RFK: Stories for Children with hosts VS Grenier, D.M. Cunningham and Tiffany Strelitz Haber on December 6, 2010. You can listen on demand as they chat with author J.D. Holiday about her newest book "The Great Snowball Escapade," and what it has been like doing the World of Ink Author/Book Virtual Tour. J.D. Holiday also shares writing tips, trials and tribulations of the writer's life.
VS Grenier, Founder & Editor-in-Chief of SFC, is an award-winning editor and author, who was voted one of the Top Ten Editors in the Preditors and Editors Poll in 2007 & 2008. She loves writing books, articles, and short stories for children and teens, finding that it keeps her young. Grenier is a graduate of the Institute of Children's Literature and is a member of the League of Utah Writers, SCBWI and Musing Our Children.
World of Ink Author/BookTours
Have you written or illustrated a children's book and you need to get the word out about it? Are you an author or illustrator working on building your platform? Or are you trying to get the word out about workshops or services you offer writers, illustrators, parents and teachers? Then Stores for Children Publishing is here to help. You'll find our World of Ink Tour is the perfect way to get your books, products or services out in front of the buying public and build your platform as a writer, illustrator or expect in your field.

No comments:

Post a Comment