Welcome to Best 100 Actors list and Photos.

Welcome to Best 100 Actors list and Photos and wallpapers.

Sunday 5 June 2011

Review: Cut Copy "Zonoscope"

Over a meal, I had a friend wax philosophic about this new band "Cut Copy". He said it was this great 'French' (in actuality, Australia) band that sounded a lot like Joy Division. Once I got home, I noodled around on Google and saw a video of them performing on the Jimmy Fallon show. These guys were performing some amazing music, but there was this guy wearing a gorilla outfit. I'm not sure what that was about, but he was going nuts on the tom toms. I think it distracted a bit from the song, but it definitely got my attention, so I decided to do some more digging.
As it turns out, the band is from Australia and are a throwback to 1980's synth pop. What's great to hear about this band is that they take sounds from my youth and actually modernize it with a fresh take on today's music. So, with Cut//Copy officially on my radar, I found their latest CD, "Zonoscope" at my local record store and I picked it up.
I'm not sure why I was skeptical in the beginning, but this album grew on me like a fungus. After the first listen, there were a few tracks that stuck out for me and I thought were interesting. "Need You Now" brings back the zany goodness of the auxiliary percussion (ie. more cowbells) akin back to Big Audio Dynamite, "Pharoahs & Pyramids" takes me down memory lane with the unique synth sounds that early Depeche Mode provided and "Corner Of The Sky" touched upon a few Sigue Sigue Sputnik nerve-endings.
You know that a band is good when they can bring you an original sound that seems fresh and new, but upon further discovery you can pick it apart and point out bits and phrases of similar sounding notes in a wide multitude of songs from that era. The sounds are the only thing similar in the music, the notes are completely their own and bring about a sophistication and respect for the bands that pioneered this genre in the mid 80's. Australia's, Cut//Copy are masterful at what they do and there is a reason why their music is popping up in all kinds of commercials and reality tv spots. The music is timeless and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment